What can you do to prevent the introduction and spread of invasive species?
Clean vehicles, equipment, personal gear, and animals. To prevent invasive species from hitching a ride on you, your animals, or your gear, you can take the following actions:
- Regularly inspect and remove caked-on soil and seeds from vehicle tires and undercarriages of any vehicles or equipment that moved between potentially infested and uninfested areas. See:
- Inspection and Cleaning Manual for Equipment and Vehicles to Prevent Invasive Species
- Vehicle Cleaning Technology for Controlling the Spread of Noxious Weeds and Invasive Species
- Limit travel through infestations, particularly when seeds are viable.
- Brush off or wash dogs that have been out running around natural areas.
- Inspect and brush your footwear and clothing clean of caked-on soil and seeds, particularly if you knowingly walk through an area of heavy invasive species infestation.
- Shake out your tent, camp chairs, sleeping bags, and other accessories before leaving a campsite to remove any plant or seed materials. Also, learn more about the 'Don’t Move Firewood' campaign.
- For more details, see Best Management Practices for Preventing the Spread of Invasive Species
Clean your boat, trailers, and other equipment that entered the water. Specifically, you can:
- Inspect your boat and equipment for mud, plants, fish, and animals, and remove everything you see.
- Drain water from all equipment once you are on dry land.
- Clean your boat and any other equipment that entered the water, and allow them to dry thoroughly before moving them.
- Agree to stop at boat inspection checkpoints in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, and other states, You will not be subject to penalties or fines if staff find aquatic invasive species on your boat.
For more information, see:
- Why should I care about invasive species?
- How to inspect your boat for invasive species
- Aquatic nuisance species described on Washington's boating portal
- Prevention procedures for waterfowl hunters
- Defending Favorite Places (video)